Tuesday, February 23, 2010

When Self Belief Eludes Us

Sometimes the going does get tough. The pressures of daily life do get in the way and it becomes hard to stay focused on the end result of what we are trying to achieve. The way is not always rosy and we seem to have hurdle after hurdle to overcome. Why do things seem to come easier for some and not so easy for others?

It’s times like this that we are required to summon our inner most strength and put our real core beliefs to the test.

Do I still believe in who I am? Do I believe in what I am doing? Do I still have the same strong desire to help others? Am I committed to being the very best I can be no matter what? What can I learn from the challenges in front of me today?

Winston Churchill once said “The price of greatness is responsibility.”
We must at some point take responsibility for what is happening in our lives. If things are not happening the way we want them to, then why is that? Are we really being the person we need to be to effect those outcomes we want to see? If you want to be successful so you can help others, then stop and take stock. Why do you need to be successful before you can help others? Is it not possible to help others before you have achieved success? Be the person you want to be and the rest will follow. Gandhi was a superior example of this. He was one of the poorest people alive, but in the end one of the most influential and successful of our time. He helped millions and today his legacy lives on.
By coming from a place of pure intent, a place of pure purpose, and leading from the heart, we can achieve all things. We are only limited by the degrees of our thoughts and actions.

So… when self belief eludes me I find a great remedy to get me going again for the day is to stop, take stock, and think about all the things I’m grateful for today and in my life so far. How far I’ve come and what has brought me to where I am today. All the things I’ve achieved so far and how grateful I am for all the lessons I’ve learnt so far.

There isn’t a day goes by that I’m not supremely grateful for the love of my partner, his strength and support nurtures me constantly, my children whom I’ve had the priviledge to raise into fine young adults and who now share their children with me. My dearest friend who while we may not be in constant contact, I know is just a phone call away, is a constant in my life that I treasure in every way. The lessons I’ve had in my life over the years which have not always been easy, I can now look back on with gratitude and realize they have made me the person I am today. Without those lessons I’d not be the kind, compassionate, tolerant, sensitive, enthusiastic, supportive, dependable, loyal, friendly, honest and sharing person I’ve become.

No comments:

Post a Comment